Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dinner & Reba

After a long and mostly typical 10 hour work day, I decided to tell my boss I'm divorcing the music industry. You could imagine the terror in his face; He too, is against divorce. After much explanation, he agreed that my decisions were both just and reasonable (as usual). Nonetheless, he didn't let me go without a fight. He offered me more money and potential promotions. He tried it all.

My mind is made up already, I want a divorce.

After sitting in the office for an additional 30 minutes after my work day is over, he invited me out to dinner. At least we can still be friends. We agreed on the local Italian restaurant on Ventura Boulevard, just blocks away from the office. We arrive, he pays for the valet (yesssss) and we scurry inside with our starving bellies (his more so than mine). We are seated by the same guy that always greets us, in the same spot he always seats us. Only this time something is different, something is better. Reba McEntire is seating right beside us, with her husband and her son. Awesome.

I immediately had second thoughts. After all, I have always been against divorce, it's the easy way out.

I took some time, regrouped. I still want a divorce. Not from the music industry. Just from working in the music industry.

Thank you Richard for dinner, and thank you Reba for clearing my head. I'm going to be a teacher.

7 comments:

Conlan said...

Holy crap.

(About quitting. Who cares about Reba.)

Congratulations. You are an inspiration to us all.

Lauren Green said...

I care about Reba!! I love her =) You go girl!! I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Tell Richard that i'll come work with him. I have a lot of contacts in that industry with artists and I want to move to So. Cal. I will go for say...$80k a year. :) Then we could be neighbors.

Jim Family said...

i heart reba. you are so lucky. lets talk teaching...tell me everything. what will you teach? when? where? everything. really. i need to know.

Unknown said...

Nicole, You can be ANYTHING you want to be.... You will be a WONDERFUL teacher.
(After reading your blog I think that you'd make a very entertaining writer as well! You make me smile!)

Kerrie said...

GO FOR IT! GOOD FOR YOU!

Kris, Andrea, Lacey, Mia, and Kannon said...

WOW! I love hearing about all of the fun experiences you have as a result from your job, but.... You will be a great teacher. Good luck and Congrats to the new career change.